Ohio Workers’ Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about Ohio Workers’ Compensation

Q.  What should I do if I get injured at work?

A. If you are injured at work, you should immediately report the injury to your employer and complete a written accident report. You should get medical       treatment immediately and tell the doctor you were hurt at work. You can receive treatment from a doctor of your choice as long as the doctor is Ohio BWC   certified. You can change your physician of record at any time by filing a Change of Physician form with the BWC.  

Q. How do I file a claim?

A. A claim is filed by completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) and filing it at a BWC office or at www.ohiobwc.com.  The injured worker, a hospital, doctor or your employer can file a First Report of Injury.   Once the FROI is filed, the BWC will assign you a claim number and investigate the claim. You must file a claim with the BWC within 2 years of the date of injury.

Q. How long does it take to process a claim?

A. The BWC will investigate your claim and issue a decision to allow or deny your claim within 28 days. They will mail you a written decision.

Q. My claim was allowed, will my medical bills be paid.

A. The medical bills will be paid for treatment related to the allowed conditions in the claim. Your doctor must complete a C9 form to request the approval of medical treatment.

Q. What type of benefits am I eligible for as an injured worker?

A. Your benefits will depend on the extent of your injury and can include the following:

    • Payment of medical bills
    • Temporary total disability
    • Wage loss compensation
    • Permanent partial disability
    • Permanent total disability
    • Lump sum settlement

Q.What happens if my claim or request for treatment or compensation is denied?

A. If the BWC denies your claim, request for compensation, or medical treatment, you have 14 days to file an appeal and request a hearing before the Industrial Commission. You should work with an attorney to file your appeal.

Ratings and Reviews

Mark L. Newman, a Fabulous Workman’s Compensation Lawyer!

In November 2006, I was injured on a field trip to a bowling alley that another teacher and I had taken our high school students on. I began medical care for my injury with my family doctor, but then after long delays on the submission of the necessary paperwork, and not being satisfied with the…

- (5 star review)